Post by Jason Mox:
Steph and I met with the missionary director in Manila today to talk about our next three weeks here. He got us up to speed on the devastation left by Typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan:
- This Typhoon was 3.5 times stronger than Hurricane Katrina
- Roughly 10,000 killed or missing (and the numbers are rising)
- Hospitals are running at over capacity
- A State of Calamity has been declared
- Bohol, Philippines is still feeling the effects of last month’s 7.2 earthquake
- People are still trapped, isolated, and in need of rescue
|We were here 8 days ago.|
We have the opportunity to provide disaster relief through the missions organization we are working with. They have a response plan already in place: to provide material aid for 600 families (blankets, tarp coverings, sleeping mats, and mosquito nets). Also Feed Our Starving Children has already sent over 14,000 meals to distribute. The only thing preventing our team from going is insufficient funds.
I know that in the past the effects of natural disasters and world events were only witnessed second hand through a television screen, which makes it easy to ignore. But seeing it first hand opens our eyes to the devastation and suffering of an already poverty stricken country. The words of Christ come alive in Matthew 22:39 when he says “Love thy neighbor as thy self,” or in Luke 12:48 when he says “To whom much has been given, much will be expected.”
Help make it possible for us to be Christ’s hands and feet to the victims of Typhoon Yolanda.
Here’s a link, should you feel led to give.