My recent posts have revealed the findings that my sister-in-law & I have made conducting the Ultimate Energy/Snack Bar Experiment. In short, we’re comparing the time, taste, and cost of making energy bars at home, versus buying them at the store!
Yesterday I shared the Maca Energy Bar recipe we made and how it compared to store-bought brands. Our findings:
- Time: about 30 min.
- Taste Comparison: Pretty close to Nature Valley’s Sweet & Salty Nut Mix.
- Cost: $1.49/bar, a total savings of:
- 35% savings, or $12.90 per 16 bars.
The day before that we listed our findings about Kamut Dark Chocolate Energy Bars.
But today’s experiment was our absolute favorite… yummy, yummy No-Bake Protein Bars!
Experiment #3: No-Bake Protein Bars, (by Angela Liddon).
Mm, mm, these were a hit! (Especially with the husbands).
True to the original recipe name, these bars were the quickest & easiest of the three recipes we experimented with.
Uncharacteristically, we pretty much stuck to the recipe. In addition to doubling all ingredients, we ended up using local, all-natural honey as the sweetener and throwing in a couple teaspoons of maca powder for the added nutritional aspects. ;)
After popping them out of the freezer, our husbands lost no time in eating them! I managed to count how many bars we made before they disappeared: 20 bars.
- Time: 15 min. Can’t beat that! The add’l 15 min in the freezer felt like forever, though. ;)
- Taste Comparison: Just like a Larabar. The cookie dough one.
- Cost: Larabars that come in a pack of 16 cost an average of $19.99 a box. That’s $1.25/bar. Our homemade bars: $0.78/bar. That’s a savings of:
- 38%, or $9.39 per 20 bars!
Wahoo! A definite winner.
You can bet that these will be popping up frequently on this blog!
Pingback: The Energy/Snack Bar Experiment – Pt II | See Mox Run·
Pingback: Praise or Obedience? | See Mox Run·
Pingback: PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE DESSERT BARS | Homemade Bar Experiment #1 | [believers.voyage]·
Pingback: Authority Over Sickness | See Mox Run·
Pingback: Snow Ransom | See Mox Run·
Pingback: Fab Friday – April 25, 2014 | See Mox Run·
Pingback: Hello, Monday | See Mox Run·
Pingback: Fab Friday – May 16, 2014 | See Mox Run·